Saturday, August 12, 2006

Fear And Loathing In District 414 (Part 2)

Once we arrived at the Penney's store in Fairfield our district was assigned an entire floor to ourselves. AM Joe seemed flustered and more than a little upset as he attempted to unload and set up audit machines, lasers and rays, and to place auditors in various departments. Joe would be supervising a few of the Santa Rosa people in the housewares department, while two-ton Mondo would be supervising the rest of the crew in children's clothing. Normally I would be immediately placed in the housewares area, where a lot of the merchandise (towels, sheets, etc.) was quantity counted. But I was so ticked off at Joe that I wanted to be as far away from him as possible, so instead of waiting to be placed in a specific area, I just went over to infant's sleepwear and started scanning away.

In addition to the whole pervert AM Dave/asshole AM Joe debacle, there was an unintentionally hilarious subplot going on involving blob Mondo. In light of Dave being fired that very day and thus causing our district to be dangerously short of managers, Ops Manager Sai had done the unthinkable and promoted putrid Mondo to the Associate Area Manager position. Of course this was an absolutely horrendous idea, as anyone who has been reading this blog (and is by now familiar with Hindenburg Mondo) knows. Given that Mondo's revolting hygiene problem was such that it has caused more than one RGIS customer to ban him from their stores, and of course had caused many an RGIS auditor to want to vomit, it would seem absolutely ridiculous that Sai would give Mondo the AAM spot. But much to everyone's shock and disbelief, there was Mondo in J.C. Penney's, beaming from ear to greasy ear as he proudly informed everyone that he was our new AAM. Would this nightmare never end?

Of course, Mondo could never fit into the dress shirt and necktie that is required of all male RGIS managers. I couldn't for the life of me picture his massive oily bulk squeezing into any human-size dress shirt. And I was right, as Mondo showed up in Penney's wearing a surprisingly clean (and humongous) grey and black pullover sweater. This was his rather pitiful attempt at adhering to the manager's dress code. It also was apparently his only article of halfway decent clothing as he wore that same sweater in every inventory he attended for the next three weeks. And without any laundering of the sweater too (natch), so that with each subsequent inventory the sweater got a little more grimier and a little more funkier smelling. Barf.

And too, his lone pair of khaki pants, which he had laundered right before the Penney's inventory (I'm surprised they didn't disintegrate in the wash) began to once again sport those old familiar stains in all the old familiar places. And yes, in case you were wondering, of course foul Mondo never bathed his massive oily carcass during that time either, so after 3 weeks the green biohazard fumes were once again rising in thick waves from his reeking body. Despite Mondo's fervent wishes and desires for that coveted AAM job, that fat loser couldn't even manage to keep himself clean for a scant 3 weeks. Even Ops Manager Sai, desperate for a new AAM to take his place so he could split from Santa Rosa, realized that you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear and the whole "Mondo as an AAM" fiasco quietly faded away.

But before gross Mondo's AAM dreams were shattered, he still had an opportunity to make a good impression in his first inventory as an Associate Area Manager. That night at J.C. Penney's in Fairfield saw Mondo start off somewhat clean and resplendent in his new pullover sweater that tented his half-ton body. He was so proud of himself: after 10+ years as an oily auditor and even oilier Team Leader, he was finally being given a chance to prove that he could be a manager. He was full of goodwill and cheer, and all smiles. At the beginning of the inventory that is. Thirty minutes later Mondo was sweating like a hog and had already screamed at three people for miscounting. So much for good intentions.

In the meantime I was still smarting about the whole Joe-and-the-parking-favoritism thing. With every rack of toddler's pajamas that I scanned I got angrier and angrier (Mondo used to say that it was a TL or Manager's goal to get an auditor angry, but not too angry, and then he would be at just the right amount of outrage to start counting at a furious pace. That auditor would finish an area twice as fast as he normally would have, having been pushed just to the brink of furiousness, but not over the edge). For the past several years I had watched AM Joe allow his pet auditors to do as they pleased at work. The F.O.J.'s (Friends Of Joe) exercised lax attendance at inventories and stepped outside for numerous smoke breaks, all with tacit permission form Joe. And now Joe was blatantly allowing Gerry and Romy to park at the office when he had just told the entire district that no one was to park there. After a while I felt like a volcano about to erupt. I had to talk to someone about this or the top of my head was going to pop off.

I turned and spoke to the person scanning next to me. That person happened to be Anna, and I realized later that that might not have been the best decision to make on my part. Anna was hardly objective when it came to crises at work, especially ones involving managers. But all the hot, resentful lava bubbling inside me sort of muddled my thinking and I sought Anna's opinion on the matter. I asked her, "If you were upset at someone for something they did, would you tell them, or would you just forget about it?" Anna, ever a fan of confrontations and showdowns, said promptly, "Tell them about it. It won't do you any good to keep it inside. It'll just get worse and worse until you speak to the person who ticked you off. Who was it?" When I told her it was Joe she was ecstatic. Anna had a crush/hate relationship with Joe, with heavy leaning to the hate side, when the crush part of it yielded no results from Joe. She could scarcely contain her glee as she told me, "You have to tell him! Right now! You have to tell Joe that you're mad at him, and why! Right now! Go!" And she practically pushed me halfway across the store.

I went looking for AM Joe and found him standing next to a section filled with curtain rods. I asked Joe if I could speak with him for a minute and he said yes. We walked over to the luggage section, which had already been counted earlier in the evening and was now quiet and devoid of auditors. I told Joe what had been bothering me all night. "Why is it that you let Gerry and Romy park at the office? I thought no one was supposed to part there anymore." Joe immediately replied, "Well, Gerry drives that really old Blazer and he was afraid it wouldn't make it to the Park-N-Ride, so I told him it would be okay to park at the office." And Romy? "Well, Romy was hanging out with me earlier, so it just made sense for him to park at the office too." And of course all of this was said by Joe while wearing his customary bullshitting mask: an innocent expression and bland smile.

Now normally right here is where I would have just backed down and mumbled something very meekly like, "Oh okay I see, I understand thanks", and then scurried away quietly with my tail between my legs. But fired up with extra anger, resentment and generous egging on by Anna I said, "Joe, I don't feel like those are very good reasons for allowing those guys to park there. For one thing, in case you didn't notice, I drive an old car too. In fact, most of the other auditors here tonight do as well. I'm sure most of us would find it would be easier on our cars to park at the office. What makes Gerry so special that he can park there and we can't? And also, it's just not fair to let a few people park there when no one is supposed to, for any reason, you know? It's just not right."

For a few seconds AM Joe had this expression on his face of complete bewilderment. It was as though he'd been smacked in the head with a 2x4 (Well, I can dream, can't I?). He seemed stunned that someone, especially a pushover like myself, would be confronting and challenging him on something, anything, even something as minor as parking regulations. But the amazed expression on his face didn't last as anger began to take over. Remember, with all of the turmoil regarding AM Dave's firing from RGIS earlier that day, combined DM Dan getting fired shortly before that and then Ops Manager Sai having Joe jumping through hoops, this probably was not the best time to be trying Joe's patience. Joe turned red as a tomato, scowled, and began to shout at me.

And I mean he really let 'er rip. He yelled that he really didn't need this right now, that he had his hands full, what with Dan and Dave both getting fired, and he was at the office all by himself (what about Sai?). Joe continued ranting, going on an on about how no one had told him about AM Dave's Roman hands and Russian fingers (in addition to being a child molester Dave was also accused by auditors Anna and Tina of some inappropriate touching), someone should have said something to him, blah blah blah. Yeah, like that would have done any good. Had Joe been informed of this or anything else it would have caused him to pull his ostrich act and just bury his head in the ground. His specialty was ignoring problems and pretending they didn't exist.

AM Joe was really warmed up now and he showed no signs of slowing down. He continued to shout at me, saying that Gerry had come to him with genuine car troubles (sob), and so to be a nice guy (!) he had said sure, go ahead and park at the office...and then Joe told me, "You know, if you had wanted to park there (at the office) you could have said something to me (no I couldn't. The difference between me and the F.O.J.'s was that I wouldn't try to obtain special privileges that others didn't have. If no one could park at the office, then all of us should have abided by that). If you knew what was going on with Dave you should have said something to me (what?), someone should have said something." Um, someone did, remember? Anna had documentation from the sheriff's department regarding Dave's criminal record and you still did nothing, asshole. But I couldn't say this to Joe at this point because he was out of control and I wasn't about to risk losing an eye or something saying anything more. I just let him continue to bellow. Which he did. "Because you know I have an open door policy (total horseshit. Yeah sure, technically the door to AM Joe's office was open, but that didn't matter as Joe's mind was firmly closed) and you or anyone can talk to me anytime, but nobody said a word and now I have all this shit going on and I'm about this close (thumb and forefinger pressed tightly together) to quitting! I've done it before and I can do it again! I quit once before, did you know that? I don't need this right now!"

Wow. That was the first time I had ever seen AM Joe display that much emotion. Usually his countenance was about as expressive as a rock. He was really out of control and I was genuinely afraid to press my arguments further, so with all my righteous-driven courage completely dissipated I backed down and slunk away, having accomplished nothing. Joe really scared the crap out of me that night. I felt as though if I had pushed just one more of his buttons he might have really gone berserk and then popped me one. Now that would have been interesting. Two managers from the same district fired in the same day.

My guess as to why Joe reacted in that totally irrational way was not just due to all of the district shenanigans going on recently. I think it mainly had to do with the fact that he hated being criticized, just hated it. Joe believed wholeheartedly in his image as Mr. Wonderful and wanted "his" auditors to think so too. And most of us did when we first started in the district. "Joe Cool" would seem to be efficient and busy in inventories, and he would take a few of us into his confidence sometimes, telling us about how weak and lame former District Manager Kevin and AM Dave were at their jobs. He would make you feel "in the loop" about district goings-on, in that he could share his private opinions of his fellow managers with you, as though he valued your thoughts and opinions on the same subject. Of course, later on we would find out that he would then turn around and make disparaging remarks about us too, to others. And then too, his blatant favoritism regarding the F.O.J.'s really began to spin out of control once DM Dan left.

So the Mr. Perfect image of Joe's didn't last for very long. Bit by bit his facade of being this great guy began to fade, and as it did so too did his power and hold over the Santa Rosa district. My confrontation with him, as ineffective as it seemed to be at the time, turned out to be one of the first cracks in Joe's long smooth run as the King of District 414. No longer did one of his formerly faithful (read fooled) subjects believe in him and blindly accept whatever bullshit he tried to feed us. I was now as determined as Anna to set things right and this meant shedding the district of that louse AM Joe. Game on.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed reading these 2 posts. My district never came close to imploding during January, but power struggles seem to abound at RGIS or at least in my old district 356.

As far as different rules for different people (no parking at the office in your case), this seems to be common practice in alot of the districts. As one of the most successful districts in the company we were always asked to help out in other districts and even run some of their stores for them. We worked with alot of people from other districts and found out that yes, rules are only for some people while others have special privilages.

Now as far as FB (fat bastard) goes, he had all kinds of special privilages for his people. First of all his son worked for us, still does from what I understand. His son is quite the sizable youngster also. In fact, one of the auditors nicknamed him Baby Huey. Baby Huey would count sitting on a stool in like just about every inventory he was in. Now, if one of us got caught sitting on a stool by FB, he would yell at the top of his voice "NO SITTING ON STOOLS". But he would just ignore his son. FB also intimidated other AM's and they too were afraid to say anything to Baby Huey. In fact, even our DM was too scared to say anything to Baby Huey. Now this might seem like quite a minor thing to anyone reading this, but this coupled together with other favortism shown to his own son (and did I mention his son's friends), could really spoil your day and your loyalty.

To Misfit: yes, I really did get stuck in a snowstorm with FB, we were stuck in a company van for 4 hours together. I had absolutely nothing to talk to him about. For some strange reason, at one point, earthquakes interested me, so for most of the ride I passed along my knowledge to him. It was about the only thing I could think of that I would want to talk about with him. Though I might have unconciously been wishing that one would have swallowed us up. Almost anything would have been better at the time. There was one bit of brightness in that snowstorm. That was that both me and him were smokers and he didn't have a problem with me or him smoking in the company van.

Now, back to your story, I was curious if any of the JC Penney people complained about Joe yelling at you. I can remember quite a few stores complaining whenever one of our AM's or our Dm acted unprofessional.

Keep your stories coming misfit, the truth needs to be told about RGIS.

The Misfit said...

Thanks, jkat. I've been having so much fun writing in this blog! I'm glad I started it. It's been cathartic, and entertaining too.

Eeuww, FB had a son? You mean, a human female actually mated with him? Gives me the creeps, and I've never laid eyes on the guy! But we too got the "Don't sit on the stools!" chant too. I mean, when RGIS provided us with stepstools, which was practically never. I guess it should have been, "Don't sit on the milk crates!"

How did Fat Bastard manage in a van for 4 hours? He must have laid in provisions. Doritos?

No, Joe didn't get into trouble for his tirade in Penney's. There weren't any Penney's employees around, unfortunately. But I think it's interesting to note that in my district, RGIS doesn't do Penney's anymore.

Anonymous said...

I haven't seen really any "priviliges" going on so far here in D354 nor in other districts and I've worked with quite a few.

The only district I have ever heard imploding was Barre, VT last year and they got quickly back on track.

Anonymous said...

Misfit, provisions for FB would have probably been Twinkies. His van was always full of Twinkie wrappers. Yup, his son still works and still sits on his stool even to count endcaps. Quite a site. Another favorite of FB was to scream at people to tuck in their shirts...that is if you weren't one of his. I remember one inventory where he was booming to everyone to tuck in their shirts. One brave soul pointed out that his son's shirt was always hanging out. You could have heard him booming 3 states over about "do what I tell you and never mind about him". So, the only person with their shirt hanging out was guess who??

Anonymous said...

Hah. Sitting on ladders. That used to happen pretty rarely, but it has gotten worse and worse over the years. I don't think it's so much an RGIS thing as it is people in general becoming lazier and lazier.

Once, as a team leader, I saw an auditor sitting on a ladder while counting the magazines in a grocery store. Now keep in mind, you can only reach the middle rack while sitting on a ladder -- the top rack is too high, and you'd have to get down on the floor to reach the bottom. Oh, and she was also about the last auditor still counting, as most of the other auditors had closed out and started pulling tags.

So I asked her, quite nicely (although quickly since I was trying to do my own work and get us out of the store) to please not sit on the ladder, that's not how we do things here. Her response? "Well, then you have to find something else for me to sit on." It's not enough that she's lazy, but now she thinks I'm her personal valet?

The other really bad case, which I didn't see myself, but someone told me about it was an auditor sitting on a ladder to pull tags. She would just slide the ladder along the floor as she went, probably neglecting the tags that were too high to reach, and almost surely ruining the customer's floor.

And the last couple of years they developed what I call "The Stepladder Shuffle" -- auditors walking slower than you would think any living person could walk, dragging their feet and their stepladder behind them. I'm sure I would have started sending people home to bed because they were clearly too tired to count -- but we were always so short-handed I couldn't afford to send anyone home as long as they could at least fog up a mirror placed under their noses.

As for Joe, I'm sure his violent reaction had to do with stress. Here the guy had been in a cushy situation, but now he was badly overworked due to the lack of managers, and on top of that, he had an ops working in the office with him on a daily basis. Not to defend him, just to explain him.

Anonymous said...

Hi, I've been reading this blog for a while and really enjoying it.
I just haven't posted before. Your posts about JC Penney brought back some memories of something that happened in our district. In fact, I also know FB. Someone else from my district told me about this blog. We were doing a JC Penney one Sunday night about 5 years ago. The TL leading our flow was the nicest guy. He had just been made a TL and really didn't want the job. They called him one day and told him he now had a team..a result of another team being split up. Well, FB was in charge of our floor. The store people were recounting and this TL had missed an arm on the wall with about 8 pieces on it so they went and told FB. He came over to our floor screaming at that poor guy at the top of his lungs for everyone in the flow and store people to hear. We could tell the poor guy was embarrassed to death.
All he said was "I'm sorry. I must be having a bad night". Well, FB turned and screamed "If you are having a bad night then get the hell out of here now. I am not going to be recounting you all night." FB's tactics were always to embarrass you to death if you were not one of his own. You had your FOJ(Friends of Joe), we had our FOFB(friends of FB). So back to my story, the TL said OK, I'll finish my area and leave. The guy suddenly sat down and said he didn't feel very well. He complained that his arm had gone numb, and he was ashen. We wanted to get him help, but he said he would be OK. Meanwhile, FB being a total jerk, was having second thoughts because this TL's wife was also a TL and she was running a flow on the 2nd floor. FB new that she would also have to leave.
So, he went to find the DM and told him that "the TL was threatening to leave". So down comes the DM also screaming at this poor guy telling him he should not be threatening to leave but should be setting an example for others because he was a Team leader now. The poor TL tried to tell him that FB had told him to leave but he wouldn't listen. About 9 of us in the flow who heard the whole thing all piped in at that point and told the DM that FB had told him to leave. In fact, the store people also told DM that FB told him to leave. The TL ended up staying for the rest of the inventory.
Several years later, this TL was in a car accident and was taken to the hospital. While there, they did numerous tests and discovered that he had had a heart attack in the past. His wife was relating that to me and was telling me that they were not aware of this previous heart attack. I suddenly remembered the JC Penney episode with his arm going numb, etc. and I told her about it. The TL had been transferred to a large hospital in the Northeast at that point for this heart condition. She related to the doctors that people remembered the arm going numb, etc. and they told her that was probably exactly when he had that heart attack. So, for those who think FB wasn't so bad, I can tell you that I know many more stories of his incessant picking on people. If you were not on one of his teams, you were picked on by him and very loudly in front of all auditors to hear and for all the store people to hear.

The Misfit said...

anon. at 8:58 pm: How in the world did Fat Bastard keep his job? I mean, despite all of his (many) personality defects, is he actually somewhat good at running stores? Or is his district, like my old one, just really hard up for people and must keep ALL warm bodies, even the defective ones? Maybe you or jkat can answer this.

the refugee: Oh, lazy people and their stepladders! That used to irritate me too. I remember once when we were doing a Long's Drugs, and this one newbie asked to borrow the little plastic stepstool I was using. I said sure and she went off with it. A few minutes later I saw her sitting on it as she was performing the grueling task of counting a couple of bottles of nail polish on one of those tiny little display tables that they have in the cosmetics department. You know, the ones that have about a dozen bottles of nail polish and six or so tubes of mascara. She had her large ass planted firmly on the stool as she scanned these few items. I went over to her and got the stepstool back. She actually seemed indignant that she had to move her ass from the stool.

But your story of the auditor sitting on a stepstool to pull tags tops mine. How lazy! Was she a newbie? Did she get scolded for doing so? And "The Stepladder Shuffle"! I like that one.

You may be right concerning AM Joe but as he was such an asshole most of the time I refuse to be understanding or to give him any credit whatsoever.

anon. at 9:32 pm: Welcome to my blog! I hope you'll keep reading, and leaving your comments. Please also continue to share your own experiences with RGIS. I enjoy reading them all-good and bad.

That poor TL! I've always suspected that one day working for RGIS was going to kill someone. Or at the least, make them very ill. He sounded like a really nice guy. I hope he's okay now.

And I said it above, but I'll say it again. How DID Fat Bastard keep his job? The guy sounds like walking evil.

Anonymous said...

I've also seen a lot more people sitting on the job in my district, but I think it has a lot to do with the low district morale. A lot of it stems from the blatant favortism the managers show to certain auditors. Things you wouldn't believe. Like only scheduling the people that can count fast, and then lieing and telling everyone else there's no work (A lot of people were later fired to cover one of the AM's ass when the Operations manager asked why only 25 people in the district got all of the work). They would also fire some people for 1 or 2 no shows, and then keep others who had 10 to 15 no shows just because they could count fast. They even promoted an auditor to scheduler (over 5 team leaders that wanted the position), and she had only been with the company for 3 weeks (yes I said 3 weeks). Have you ever showed up to an inventory with no auditors? Talk about a team leaders nightmare. One of the other things the DM use to do was schedule the stores short, and with the lowest paid auditors (less experienced), so that they could make more money. This led to a lot of inventories running 2 to 3 hours longer than they should have, and a lot of people got burned out and pissed off. Pretty soon a lot of people didn't care if they were accurate, they started sitting down on the job, left inventories early, and eventually stopped showing up. The sad thing is, in the past 7 years I've seen a district that was once number one in the company move down to the very bottom.

Anonymous said...

Misfit, FB ran an OK store. I really think the DM was afraid of him because he used to boom at him all of the time. He isn't in our office anymore. He was actually promoted to DM in another District.
When my AM told me he was leaving, it was the week before Christmas.
I told him I didn't need any other presents from anyone. This was the best gift I could receive. I wasn't one of his. Actually, I am surprised by the other anonymous blogger. The situation being described in the JC Penny is about my husband. He is doing OK. They implanted and ICD (internal cardiac defibrillator) into his heart after that accident. He can no longer do inventories where the RF (radio frequency) ray is being used as radio waves effect his ICD.
So, no more JC Penneys for him because they use it there. I guess you would have to say he has a permanent reminder of FB implanted in his heart. He never again worked in a store that he ran. I can't thank the other blogger enough for remembering his symptoms that evening. We really could not figure out when he might have had a previous heart attack.
But the doctors confirmed that his symptoms that night were definitely those of a heart attack but not serious enough to knock him out but it had caused damage to his heart. I was on another floor that night and heard FB come up to the DM booming that someone was threatening to leave but did not hear who he was talking about.
I only found out when we had our break what had happened. A whole group of people, in fact about 5 of them were from JKat's team, came up to me to tell me what FB had done. I give them credit for telling the DM that FB was lying about what had happened. But that blogger is right. If he could embarrass you in front of everyone, he did. However, any mistakes made by any of his friends were quickly covered up.
His son sits to do endcaps. How in the world can you see the top of an endcap sitting on a stool??
He also drags his stool around with his foot and never picks it up. I guess that is his version of the shuffle. lol

Anonymous said...

Hey JKat,
Do you remember the young area manager who was transferred from our District and later became a DM?
He was FB's biggest competition. He didn't like him because he always felt like he needed to compete with him and always bad mouthed him every chance he got. Well, you may not have heard, but that guy was promoted to Ops Manager last week. And...guess whose boss he is now? Yup, FB's.
Poetic justice, don't you think?

Anonymous said...

Agentskelly, for someone who has been around for just a year or so, you are certainly privy to a lot of info about imploding Districts, etc. The only RGIS people that I know of who claim to not see 'privileges' or 'favoritism' are usually the recipients of those privileges and favoritism.
If you read this blog, you will see that it goes on in just about every District. The people in my District who would deny it would be those who receive the special treatment. They would want to pretend that everyone is treated like them. NOT!!

Anonymous said...

Yes, FB not only kept his job but is now DM of the Springfield MA office. I don't blame those who promoted him though. I don't think they really know what he is like. He puts on quite a nice guy act when he wants to. No, the person to blame is his former Dm who is still Dm of D356.
That Dm was always afraid of Fb and would never stand up to him. FB created alot of trouble in that office and we lost alot of good people because of him. He was always playing mind games with people. He would cancel good teams and good people out of jobs just to schedule his own people in. But the DM wouldn't do anything about it. This created alot of friction. The Dm never documented any of this and so the FB's file was clean.
I could go on and on about FB but I think there will be plenty of opportunities in this blog to tell more FB stories.

To anon (932), I was still working when that incident happened at JC Penney's. I had forgotton all about it, boy did you get my blood boiling when I read it. I have been away from RGIS for a couple of years now but its all coming back to me what a creep FB really was. I hope you keep reading and writing to this blog.

To anon (858pm), yes, twinkies was his favorite and I also remember the van always being full of empty potato chip bags as well. I will call you soon.

Anonymous said...

Well, as I said, I didn't see the auditor pulling tags from her ladder perch. But I did ask the guy who told me the story if that person was still around. He wasn't sure, because he was on Team Depot and so didn't spend much time with the rest of the distruct, but he said he thinks they later gave her a gray shirt. And no, he was NOT kidding. This is a district that had fallen into a deep, deep pit, for a variety of reasons, and I feel sorry for the managers there now.

Anonymous said...

Good Lord. FB is really an asshole. He wouldn't last 5 minutes in our district if he did that kinda thing. There are at least 3 or 4 people (myself included) that would have issued a beatdown on him if he had started yelling at any one of us like that.

Anonymous said...

Some RGIS managers need to take sensitivity training or anger management because they are out of control. They are rude and speak to employees in a hostile manner. Some are like drill sergeants. Then they are shocked at the low morale in their districts. I know that there is a lot of stress involved in being an RGIS manager, but most of them knew that before accepting the position, or did they?
Misfit, your decision to confront Joe during an inventory on the parking issue was good, but couldn't it have waited until break time? Also, remember you do have to be careful who you confide in. Some people cannot be trusted no matter how sincerely concerned they may seem. Then again, when an auditor wants to speak with a manager on an issue, there is never a good time, but when the managers need to talk, they have all the time in the world.

The Misfit said...

raiderhater: Ah, waiting for a break time to discuss something with a manager is in theory a good idea, but remember, this was RGIS and oftentimes we didn't receive any breaks, not rest breaks or lunch breaks. If I had waited until "break" I would have waited a long long time!

Anonymous said...

Joe got angry because you called him on his blatant favoritism. If you were one of those young girls he was trying to get into bed, he would have let you park at the office. Parking is scarce at most RGIS offices, but he was in the wrong and he knew it. Also, at times I get the impression that some employees have blackmail material on managers because of all the shit they pull and get away with that others wouldn't even try, as well as the special privileges.

The Misfit said...

raiderhater: Thanks, you are so correct. Joe was notorious for favoring chicks he had a thing for, and also for his "special" buds. So like you wrote he let them park at the office. He also let them show up late or not at all and not a damn thing would happen to them. What made it even worse was that for a long time he made out everyone's schedules and so guess who he gave all the stores to?

And your blackmail theory? Dead on correct. TL Mondo used to tell the rest of us auditors that he could never be fired because he had dirt on all of the managers. Knowing the managers in my dist. I believed it!

Anonymous said...

Of course I'm right. Nothing else could make sense considering some auditors blatant disdain for company policy. It's harder to get rid of a fast counter with a shitty attitude than an accurate, professional auditor. I've seen it enough times and I'm sure you have too.