Saturday, July 15, 2006

Dear Employee

I found an old letter printed on RGIS letterhead the other day. It was sent out to all the auditors in my district from Jeff, our former AM who shortly before the letter was written had been promoted to be our District Manager. For your amusement I am reprinting it here verbatim.



September 28, 2001



"Dear Employee,



It was not long ago that the Santa Rosa District was considered one of the top in our division. Due to circumstances in the past, we have allowed ourselves to fall below the company standard, a standard that this district helped to set. We are now going to correct the mistakes of the past and will, with your help, reset the standards for RGIS. We realize that this cannot happen overnight, but the changes that we are implementing will allow us to get back on track.



Fifteen months ago, the districts of the Bay Area came together and agreed upon a set of goals that all districts would strive for. Sadly, not one office was able to achieve those goals. As a result, more than half of the managers that attended that first meeting are no longer with RGIS. Our division vice president, Ron ********, and our operations manager, Nate *****, decided it was time for another meeting to reveal what the problem was. Each district had its' own reasons but it was discovered that there were several common issues. It was agreed that all of our districts would work to a single standard without exception. Although many of the standards set forth are directed toward management, there are some that are directed toward field personnel-you. The plan is very simple. THE BAY AREA DISTRICTS OF RGIS WILL BE RETURNING TO BASICS [sic].



What this means to you is such basic things as confirming your schedules on time, being on time in proper uniform, honoring your schedule, using proper tagging, correct inventory paperwork, following established RGIS procedures and policies, etc. Included with this letter are copies of our attendance policy, dress code, and what is expected of auditors. Sign one copy of each and return them to the office by October 5. The other copy is for your records.



We have begun to track each auditor's average per hour (APH). The goal is to identify those who are doing an outstanding job as well as those who are struggling and need additional help or training to come up to standard. The expected APH will be announced at the beginning of each inventory. We realize that not everybody can achieve the expected APH in every inventory. For instance, those who are assigned to more time consuming areas will, no doubt, fall below the expected APH. Overall, the APH for that inventory will be met.



There are more changes to come. If you have an idea you feel would help our district, please share it with a Team Leader or management. Remember that as an auditor in the field, YOU are RGIS [sic].



We thank you for your efforts."



Make what you like of this letter. I for one found it extremely amusing, having worked in the Santa Rosa district for many years. Some of my favorite parts:



The entire first paragraph, for one. Yes, at one point my district was considered to be first-rate, having been awarded several plaques(still hanging proudly on the office walls) from RGIS as the best performing district in the division. Of course, that was before Kenny and Jeff became our managers and really messed things up. They would be the "circumstances of the past" mentioned in that first paragraph, the ones that "allowed ourselves to fall below the company standard." (Of course Jeff, who wrote the letter, didn't consider himself as having been part of the problem. He believed that the entire mess our district was was caused by Kenny only.)



The second paragraph has some really good stuff too. I especially like the part where it states that all of the Bay Area districts "came together and agreed upon a set of goals that all districts would strive for. Sadly, not one office was able to achieve those goals." Darn. "Sadly." Well, just let me shed a tear right now. Sniff. Too droll. Even without knowing exactly what those so-called "goals" were, I'm not surprised that my district wasn't able to meet a single one. I can't imagine former District Manager Kenny or Area Manager/DM Jeff being able to achieve any sort of "goal", unless it was something like "Take A Quality RGIS District And Totally Screw It Up And Run It Straight Into The Ground." In that case? Mission accomplished Kenny and Jeff!



I also liked the statement printed in all caps: "THE BAY AREA DISTRICTS OF RGIS WILL BE RETURNING TO BASICS." This was an obvious (to us auditors) admittance by DM Jeff that he (and Kenny) had really let things go in our district. All the things that were mentioned in the third paragraph, like "confirming schedules on time, being on time in proper uniform, honoring your schedule, using proper tagging, correct inventory paperwork..." etc, were all ignored before this letter was sent out, and they were ignored well after the letter was received by all of us auditors as well. Especially by the F.O.J.'s (Friends Of Jeff). Guys like Gunther and Ethan blithely continued to arrive late (or not at all) to their scheduled inventories, and without any repercussions whatsoever from their pal DM Jeff. So much for "being on time" or "honoring your schedule." Absolutely no one used "proper tagging", with most auditors continuing to tag sporadically or not at all. And few people bothered with "correct inventory paperwork." Most auditors wouldn't trouble themselves to sign their area tags with their name or worksheet number, nor would we bother to fill out our worksheets with the numbers of the areas that we had counted. I mean, we auditors knew that, despite the above letter and some other vague threats from our ridiculous managers, no one would be fired for not following the rules because our district was so permanently hard up for warm bodies to staff our inventories that the managers couldn't afford to let anyone go. So a letter like the one above was a joke. No one took it seriously because we knew we didn't have to. The only way you as an auditor would leave the Santa Rosa district was if you wanted to and thus quit.



I like that next to last paragraph too, where it says "If you have an idea you feel would help our district please share it with a Team Leader or management." Okay, how about a request that DM Jeff stop playing favorites and treat everyone equally? How about DM Jeff not allowing friend Gunther to take two dozen smoke breaks during an inventory, and not allowing best pal Team Leader Ethan to leave an inventory 3 hours before anyone else because he felt "tired." What about the rest of the crew? We're not tired too? Hey, here's an idea. How about when we go into the office to pick up our paychecks, maybe it might be a good idea if your secretary Betty isn't playing solitaire at her desk? Kind of looks bad, don't you think? And when shef etches our checks for us is it possible for her to do so without a snotty attitude? That would be ever so nice. Every time an auditor would go into the office it seemed as though Betty was either playing solitaire or snacking on something. I don't think I ever once saw her actually working on something business-related. Hmm, I wonder if these "ideas" would have gone over well, had I brought them to a TL or management.



And finally, the last paragraph of the letter is a real winner. "Remember that as an auditor in the field, YOU are RGIS." Well, if that's true, then God help RGIS.



20 comments:

Anonymous said...

That looks like it was written by PR :P

My DM, he types up his own letters and what not and you can tell if he writes it because you instantly picture his voice when you read it.

This past Sunday, we had our annual company picnic. One of our AMs here is leaving the company for a job that has more "daylight" hours because of changes in his life at the moment. This is going to be interesting because my DM at this point doesn't know who will replace him.

The Misfit said...

AgentSkelly: How was the company picnic? Did you have a good time? I'm curious: did you notice the same cliques (if you have them at work) hanging out together at the picnic, that you also see at work?

Anonymous said...

Yes, I had fun...until I ate to much food combined with being dehydrated later :P

We don't have cliques in 354...we each know each other pretty well.

BUT, whats funny is back when 351 was around, I knew more people from 351 intitally than from my own district so when we sent people to do a store run by 351 or vice versa, I would hang out with them on breaks and lunch and my 354 people joked that I should just transfer to 351.

Anonymous said...

Nice letter. I'm digging around my storage stuff right now looking for the old audtec handbook - there were some quotes in there you'd just love.

It was written by the biggest troublemaker at the Control Center, an egotistical bastich named Sidney. Sidney was one of those people who thought they were extaordinarily intelligent, when if fact, they're anything but.

His favorite tactic was to throw random words he found in a thesaurus into his writing or speech without truly understanding what they meant. One example: someone lost some transmissions after sending them to the portable. This was after I figured out how to recover lost transmissions (and even erased transmissions due to people re-initializing mid-inventory), so he had the guy poke around the correct directory for them. In his writeup, though (yes, every time you call the control center for help and it's more complicated than a simple data adjustment, it gets documented), he stated that he "directed [the team leader] to scrutinze the hard drive, thereby identifying the obliterated transmissions for recovery."

Yes, Virginia, he really DID talk like that, too.

Anyway, part of the introduction to the audtec handbook is the phrase "Prepare to exhilirate your technical knowledge" - my roommate (also an ex-audtec) and I get a laugh out of that to this day.

Oh, and how I first realized he was full of shit? We were talking about cosmology, and some things he said were a bit off. So I played dumb, and asked if he knew the difference was between an asteroid, a meteor, and a meteorite. It's an esoteric question UNLESS you're into astronomy or cosmology - then it's basic.

His (incorrect) answer? "It depends on what they're made of," said in an insultingly superior mannor. That pretty much got us off on the wrong foot right there, but at least I didn't go as far as Anissa and always refer to him as AC (short for Anti-Christ).

Anonymous said...

That explains those idiotic targets. I always got stuck doing things like stationery and greeting cards or other areas that everyone else cherry picked around. I think I told you that the TL I usually worked with in the bigger stores had bladder problems... we figured she got the sucky jobs as punishment (she had also given one of the AAMs and a lot of the TLs their first promotions-- maybe the AM and DM felt threatened by her competence). The smart people counted these items very slowly and inaccurately and got transfered to softline. The rest of us spent an hour counting 1500 - 2000 items with a total value of $4000 -$5000.

Again, back to the last post, WTF!?! The AM did drive an Impala, and I believe the DM had an Uplander, but they never drove anyone. On the days when they did show up to the early morning pick-ups, they crammed all of the employee cars full (as in 5 people in a 4 seater), and either drove in alone or with a couple of lucky lucky people.
As far as Walmart goes, now I don't really understand why it was seen as such a bogeyman... but I did meet people fired for miscounting there and they were hired back -- I guess I could believe it's just RGIS desperation for people and that these guys really were terrible auditors, understating the enormity of their mistakes.

The Misfit said...

AgentSkelly: Glad you had a good time. My district started having company picnics around 2000 or so. I never went, but now I sort of wish that I had, because I'm sure that I would have a lot more RGIS tales to relate. Like how many hot dogs Mondo hoovered into his stomach.

taliesyn: That would be great if you find your audtec handbook. I'd love to hear some stuff from that!

That's pretty cool about recovering lost transmissions, I didn't know you could do that. I wonder how many times the managers and TLs in my district had that happen to them.

Anonymous said...

I just had my training to be an auditor yesterday. Reading your blog makes me a little nervous for the job, to say the least! (I'm in the midwest, maybe it's different out here...doubtful, but maybe.)

Any tips for an okay first day?

Anonymous said...

Honestly, most of that handbook was the most basic windows troubleshooting, along with some rough guidelines on how the Ray2000 system worked. The computer literacy of most people in the control center pretty much ended at "this is the power switch, and these icons bring up the mainframes", so the majority of the class was a lesson in Basic Computer Operation.

Scary thought, that these were the 'advanced troubleshooters' who were supposed to handle the real problems, eh? Admittedly, most audtecs WERE experienced troubleshooters, so we already knew how to deal with all the normal problems, but they were still rookies with computers.

The lost transmission thing might not work if they've revised the software, but basically, any time an audit transmits to the portable, there's a raw dump to a specific directory on the computer. Probably 90% of all lost transmissions are/were bad imports by the VERY unstable Ray software, and they could be fixed by looking in that directory, finding the transmission, moving it to the import directory, and letting the program run. The other 10%, though, were from corrupted data transfers or corrupted data in the audit itself and were irrecoverable.

Restoring an initialized portable was similar, as the old transmissions were actually saved in a backup directory...HOWEVER, a second initialization deletes them forever. Figuring out how to undo an initialization (with much appreciated help from one of the programmers) actually earned me kudos from the Manager, who normally only had good things to say about Sidney's self-promotions.

(Sidney had convinced him he was the Second Coming or something - this guy spent all night every night on a computer in the corner surfing the net and taking online classes rather than taking calls, all with the Manager's permission.)

I wish I could remember everything that went on there - it was like one long Dilbert-esque soap opera. We had the girl who got the boob job and had to show everyone, the technology prima-donna (Sidney) who got caught hacking the mainframe several times and yet never got fired, the jokers, the bad management, the cliques, Stellapalooza, the drunks, you name it.

Hope I'm not destroying your faith in the control center here. ;-)

Anonymous said...

Hi AgentSkelly: I use to go to our summer outings too. We certainly had some interesting ones. We went bowling, which was actually alot of fun. We went to see Pawtucket Red Sox games, another great time and last but not least we even went to a paintball facility for one summer outing.

The paintball one got quite interesting when one of the male AM's sat in a company van the entire time with a flirty female auditor. They drank beer the whole time too. My DM was at the outing but having little backbone he made believe he didn't know what was going on.

Did you have Christmas Parties too?
We always had those, they were the most interesting because they were always held in a place that served alcohol. I think I will save some of those stories for another topic though.

Misfit: We too would get letters from our DM. I wish I still had them, but I have thrown all my RGIS memorablia away. First of all, my DM was actually pretty educated, but you never would have known it from his lack of writing abilities. We, too could hear his voice through the letters. Most of the letters involved reprimanding us all for some silly thing and the best part was he would do this throughout the entire letter telling us what we were doing wrong and what needed to change and then at the very end he would always say "Keep up the good work"

Anyway it made good humor to the point that alot of us looked forward to receiving them.

The Misfit said...

Kim: Welcome! Hope you'll keep reading my blog, and please leave your comments.

Yes, I have one tip for you. RUN! No, I'm just kidding. The first day as an RGIS auditor may leave you feeling a little nauseous, but try to stick with it. Who knows, you might find that you actually like to count things. I did, and that's why I stayed with the company for so long. I also liked the flexible time, too.

I'm trying to think of something that might help you on your first day, something that I might have appreciated. Hmmm...nothing earth-shattering comes to mind. Maybe, if your AM or DM or TL doesn't already suggest it, you could ask whoever is running your first couple of inventories to assign you to count near someone who's experienced and (most important) who's nice and friendly and won't mind answering any questions you might have. Good luck! And let me know how your first inventory went.

AgentSkelly: I clicked on your name and read your journal. It's interesting, you should write more frequently.

gas: You would prefer counting softlines? If I was given a choice I always preferred hardlines. Sure, it was considered more difficult by some, but I hated the slow pace and monotony of scanning shirts, pants and dresses. I always liked the hardlines stuff. I guess I saw it as a challenge; I was always trying to see if I could count something faster by going right to left, as opposed to left to right (J-pegs), or front to back vs. back to front (J-pegs again), etc. I think I could have fallen asleep counting softlines!

taliesyn: Sidney hacked into the mainframe? Please explain to a computer novice like myself. Does that mean he tampered with RGIS' website or programs or something?

Also, what (or who) is Stellapalooza? :)

jkat: We had Christmas parties too, at the office. I only went to pick up my schedule for January. I never stayed for the "refreshments" (stale cookies).

Too bad you didn't save your RGIS stuff. I guess I'm a packrat because I saved so much junk from RGIS. "Raise" letters, all my schedules, everything. What a mess! Oh well, it's all subject material.

Anonymous said...

Misfit: we have summer outings and Christmas parties in my District. Makes for good stories at a later time. As far as letters, our DM loves to write them also. He sends very interesting emails too. He doesn't use punctuation and his emails are often several paragraphs long but written as one sentence. You have to put in your own punctuation as you read or the email becomes impossible to decipher. Doesn't know about spellcheck either. One of his favorites is 'did you no' (know).

JKat: At that paintball outing, didn't that AM actually play for a while before he sat in the van?
I remember that he hid behind a tree because when he came out, everyone was shooting at him...he wasn't one of the best liked AM's to come through our District.

Anonymous said...

Jkat, yes we do have x-mas parties, I didn't get invited to it apparently.

If we are doing a K-mart, I prefer hardlines, if its a Wal-Mart, I prefer softlines.

Anonymous said...

In a nutshell, as of 2000, RGIS was still using an archaic system. They had 9 computers with inventory data, with processing power comparable to a good desktop today. They were networked together by a more modern server, and we all just logged into each server separately through a window and worked on the computers themselves via a remote connection on our desktops.

Sidney was always nosing around the directories, and found an operating manual (they were written in COBOL, iirc, and he knew a little bit of it). After that, he was CONSTANTLY getting into the system, seeing how things work, playing with the different automated routines that handled data transfer, backup, and storage, etc. These systems, if messed with, can cause entire GROUPS of inventories to be irrevocably lost (at least, until RGIS installed a few RAID-5 arrays just before I left).

He even managed to get the login and password for both the Control Center Manager and the Director of Audit Operations (basically in charge of both the Control Center and Customer Service) and used them to access confidential files - inventory specifics, customer billing, etc. He was caught repeatedly, as the computer would log the IP of the accessing computer and time of access - and neither of these people worked at 2am on a Saturday night from the corner seat in the Control Center.

Each time, Tom (the Manager) somehow covered for Sidney and kept him from getting fired - how, I don't know.

Oh, and my roommate just reminded me of this one: the Director of Audit Operations once got an interesting set of business cards. He handed one to a client, the client looked at it, looked at him, and asked, "What exactly does the Director of Adult Operations DO at your company?".

*grin*

(SR71)Atomica said...

The closest we have had to that kind of a descriptive was a detailed directive that mandated more adherence to company policies, especially with regard to absenteeism. That appears to be a problem with my area and my district...maybe people will learn, or they can find somewhere else to work.
BTW just blogged your blog...if you care to see the simple writeup just see http://sr71atomica.blogspot.com/2006/08/little-insight-into-my-jobthrough.html if you like...

The Misfit said...

(sr71)atomica: Thanks for posting the link to my blog, and welcome! I hope you'll continue to read my blog, and to leave your comments as well.

The Duchess said...

Proper tagging was a major chore, lemme tell you. It was inefficient with time, it wasted tags (which we never had enough of at any of our inventories), and took forever to clean up after an inventory was over.

Not a single one of us properly tagged.

Now, worksheets and tickets I would do. They had started training me as a TL... and with all the mistakes I was correcting at a store one night, having a properly filled out worksheet as well as a signed ticket would have saved me some major running back and forth and double counting, leaving me stuck there about an hour after most everyone else had left. I could have killed the people that didn't do it.

Anonymous said...

Can anyone tell me how the new machines are working out if you have worked with one. In my district they are acting like it's a state secret or something. I'm not asking for company secrets. just your take on the machines. Are their any nicknames for them yet?

Archiel said...

The new machines run Windows Mobile (formerly known as WinCE). They have some neat features (like they use 802.11 wireless, so no more "finding the Ray" to transmit, and you get win-pops with things like break notifications and such).

However, the ergonomics suck. They are meant to be handheld, with a built-in laser. As they are larger than a typical hand-held laser, God help you if you have to count a crowded rounder or a clothing rack at Ross Stores. The batteries also don't last longer than 6 hours, which is problematic on a long inventory. You can see your APH and other neat stats on the screen, and editing mistakes is a LOT easier.

You also can't use a vibrator with them, and while theoretically a hand-held laser can be connected with an adapter, there aren't enough adapters to go around (not that it matters anyway, most of our handheld lasers up here are so broken as to not be usable) and are being handed out to Manager Pets so they can use their finger lasers.

The biggest downside is they seem slow. It takes about a half-second between when the laser sees the scan and the unit is ready, and it really messes with your APH on a big inventory.

Personally, the whole nice thing about the old-and-busted Audit was it worked fast, was designed solely to collect input and nothing more. The new units will make training faster (no more obscure things like "CTRL-FUNCTION1, not CTRL-NUMERIC1"), at the expense of poor ergonomics and slow response time.

Anonymous said...

To Whom it may concern i am not very happy with the way my district is run at this very moment in time.The way the new District manager talks to staff and management is a disgrace. He makes racist comments to auditors of all different nationalitys and they are frightened to say anything agaainst him .They are concerened about losing there . From a concerned Employee.

Anonymous said...

To Whom it May Concern I Have a Complaint about the District Manager of District771 the way he treats Management and staff he is racist to all the Auditors of all Different Nationalitys no one will stand up against him because everyone is frightened in case they lose there jobs a concerned Employee of District771. ENGLAND